Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Photography Show at Cité des Arts - October 2011

During the month of October, I will be having a photography show at Cité des Arts, downtown Lafayette, LA , 109 Vine Street.  Come by and see my a small part of my work.

The one on the left is a large ashtray, sitting outside the Swamp Gravy Theater, Colquitt, GA. I was on a trip to experience storytelling-story collecting and improv community performance of stories collected.  It had rained and the large ashtray was filled with water, cigarette butts and other garbage.

I made three different "mandala images" from the photo.  My favorite is in my show.  The play of the light reflection and the way the water bulges at the edges and causes shadows is very interesting.

The photo on the right is of an old door I found in an alley in Colquitt, GA.  I collected quite a few very inspiring photos on my iphone that day in that alley.  This door had the number "6" painted on it and had rusting nails and a diagonal pattern of the boards.  It reminded me of many doors that I saw in Spain as I hiked the sacred mountain up to the Alhambra with my son, Bogar - that was too many years back to mention.

But, I like the idea that towns across the US have doors with as much character as those very old doors in Spain.

I love the photo on the left - again, the alley Colquitt, GA was a treasure trove for my eye and my iphone.  It is a painted pink wall.  There may have been a patch of some sort at one time that got painted over to cause the circle.

Time and Nature can create beauty in mysterious ways.  This has a very subtle Rorschach affect on me.  I see so many things in the simplicity of the faded color and age lines and cracks.


That Alley!  Amazing.

One simple light cover over a door on a metal building makes a great pattern.











This photo is a corner of a painted white storm drain - the dark material is broken up asphalt that has run down into the drain, clogging most of it.

There is a bit of organic matter here and there - pine needles and a small leaf or two.







I call this "goop" but it was a very weird pile of trash, found objects that somehow found their ways into this spot that pink paint (I imagine left over and poured out after the pink wall in the alley was done).

I think it was left over cement or plaster or some kind of adhesive material dumped in the alley and then the paint was dumped on top - there is a small thin hose and some other stuff - a plant or two growing up through the man-made mess.

It does make for an interesting mandala - bringing the profound to the profane.
This manipulated image is difficult to explain.  There was an abandoned building with stuff piled up in the street-level window.  I took several photos of the stuff in the window and this is the counterpart photo I came up with for one of those photos.


Once again, time and nature.




 The next three "Counterpart - Mandala" photos are of wooden rafters, beams and ceiling that was part of an old gas station (I think) - some sort of service company with a large over covered area that could be driven under.
 I used the same photo for all three - some manipulation can make a big difference in the way the counterparts affect the image.
This one looks more like a ceiling with rafters - the color is what it looked like.  I did not manipulate the colors at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment